Applied Sports Science newsletter – May 29, 2018

Applied Sports Science news articles, blog posts and research papers for May 29, 2018

Josh Sargent ready for USMNT opportunity ahead of Bolivia match

SBI Soccer, Ryan Tolmich from

… “We’re all in the same situation, sort of just trying to prove ourselves and trying to find our way into this team,” Sargent said. “I think there’s a lot to look forward to with this group.”

“It’s a great feeling. I’ve been in Germany training as hard as I can every day,” Sargent added. “I didn’t really know the language that well or know any of the guys when I first got into their camp, so it’s a good feeling coming back here where I’m familiar with most of the guys.”

Tempting fate? Giants, Odell Beckham navigating tricky spot with mounting ACL injuries in OTAs

NJ.com, Ryan Dunleavy from

In his first camp with the Giants since shattering his ankle last October, Odell Beckham spontaneously sprinted horizontally across the indoor field and jumped into into a big, soft mat.

It was a reminder of the boyish enthusiasm Beckham still brings to the practice field no matter how big is star has become.

In fact, the Giants have needed to curtail Beckham during the pre-draft three minicamp in late April and during the first three organized team activities, all of which are voluntary practices. He did not participate in OTAs last season.

“He’s champing at the bit wanting to get out and do more than we’re allowing him to do at this point,” coach Pat Shurmur said earlier this week. “But I think we’re just trying to make sure that everything is healed to the fullest before we put him out there.”

An older, wiser Alex Ovechkin leading the way for Capitals

Associated Press from

… “You don’t want to be a one-trick pony in this league,” Trotz said. “The league keeps changing on you.”

Ovechkin, whose Capitals faced the expansion Vegas Golden Knights in Game 1 of the final Monday night, scored 49 times this season after just 33 goals in 2016-17.

“The one thing that Alex does better than anybody, maybe in the history of the game, is score goals,” Trotz said. “He has fantastic release. He plays a physical game for a pure-skill guy. There’s so many things that he’s done for the game. But we talked about finding other ways to be effective.”

The surprising science behind why ‘easy days’ and ‘hard days’ make a difference in your workout

The Globe and Mail, Alex Hutchinson from

Stephen Seiler’s awakening occurred shortly after he moved to Norway in the late 1990s. The American-born exercise physiologist was out on a forested trail when he saw one of the country’s elite cross-country skiers run past – and then suddenly stop at the bottom of a hill and start walking up.

“And I said, well what the heck are you doing? No pain, no gain!” he later recalled. “But it turned out she had a very clear idea of what she was doing.”

Seiler’s observation led him to devote 15 years to studying how world-beating endurance athletes train, revealing that they push harder on their hard days but go easier on their easy days than lesser athletes. But, as research that will be presented this week at the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) conference in Minnesota reveals, most us haven’t incorporated these findings into our exercise programs – which means we’re not training as effectively as we should.

NYU Steinhardt Professor Replicates Famous Marshmallow Test, Makes New Observations

New York University, News Release from

A new replication study of the well-known “marshmallow test” – a famous psychological experiment designed to measure children’s self-control – suggests that being able to delay gratification at a young age may not be as predictive of later life outcomes as was previously thought.

Published in Psychological Science by Dr. Tyler W. Watts, an assistant professor of research and postdoctoral scholar at New York University’s Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, and his colleagues, this replication uses a larger and more diverse sample of children to reexamine whether the marshmallow test does in fact predict longer-term cognitive and behavioral outcomes.

Dr. Watts’s research finds that although the marshmallow test conceived by psychologist Walter Mischel is related to later achievement, the relationship between a young child’s ability to delay gratification and later outcomes is much weaker than previously thought. The new study discovered that while the ability to resist temptation and wait longer to eat the marshmallow (or another treat offered as a reward) did predict adolescent math and reading skills, the association was small and disappeared after the researchers controlled for characteristics of the child’s family and early environment. And there was no indication that it predicted later behaviors or measures of personality. The authors concluded that interventions focused only on teaching young children to delay gratification are likely to be ineffective.

Google and Facebook are now tantalizingly close to solving VR

Fast Company, Mark Wilson from

… What’s different is that these headsets are cheaper–cheap enough that the Go is projected to be a bestseller in the industry. They were also designed as completely stand-alone gadgets, like an iPod for VR. They require no tower PC, no tracking systems mounted to your walls, and no heavy cord attached to the back of your head. They don’t ask you to put your smudgy phone into a little scuba goggles case, either. Sitting on my couch, I can slide on the Go or Solo, pick up a tiny remote, and be inside the world of VR in moments. It just goes to show how freakin’ fast a whole new paradigm of computing can move when it’s backed by two of the most valuable companies in the world. Virtual reality is quickly mastering the human factors that have alluded it.

Intel’s Volumetric Video Could Redefine Sports Broadcasts

SportTechie, Joe Lemire from

… Intel Studios announced its first partnership, with the NFL Network program Soul and Science that stars sport scientist John Brenkus and former Super Bowl-winning quarterback Trent Dilfer. Volumetric video will aid the hosts in providing innovative analysis on human performance.

“Everything you see today is from the perspective of a lens, a camera or a video camera,” said James Carwana, general manager of Intel Sports Group. “You experience reality from what that lens is showing you. In volumetric video, instead of capturing reality based on that perspective, you capture the entire scene. It allows for infinite camera positions and infinite camera angles.

Puma and MIT Design Lab envision a future of self-adapting, performance-enhancing sportswear

Dezeen, Anna Winston from

Insoles that measure athletic performance using bacteria, and trainers that “breathe” are among the latest experimental pieces of sportswear being developed by Puma and MIT Design Lab.

Debuted during Milan design week, the Adaptive Dynamics: Biodesign project features four cases that test how bacteria could be used within sportswear design to improve performance and sustainability.

Sportswear brand Puma and MIT Design Lab – an interdisciplinary research laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology – created the exhibition with design studio Biorealize.

“We see the future of athletic gear to be real-time adaptive to the biology of the user and to the active environment,” said MIT Design Lab director Yihyun Lim

HIPAA and Protecting Health Information in the 21st Century

JAMA, The JAMA Network, Viewpoint; Glenn Cohen and Michelle M. Mello from

… For all its promise, the big data era carries with it substantial concerns and potential threats. Part of what enables individuals to live full lives is the knowledge that certain personal information is not on view unless that person decides to share it, but that supposition is becoming illusory. The increasing availability and exchange of health-related information will support advances in health care and public health but will also facilitate invasive marketing and discriminatory practices that evade current antidiscrimination laws.2 As the recent scandal involving Facebook and Cambridge Analytica shows, a further risk is that private information may be used in ways that have not been authorized and may be considered objectionable. Reinforcing such concerns is the stunning report that Facebook has been approaching health care organizations to try to obtain deidentified patient data to link those data to individual Facebook users using “hashing” techniques.3

Given these concerns, it is timely to reexamine the adequacy of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the nation’s most important legal safeguard against unauthorized disclosure and use of health information. Is HIPAA up to the task of protecting health information in the 21st century?

Proposed amendment to state constitution limits UC autonomy

UCLA, Daily Bruin student newspaper, Julia Shapero from

California state legislators announced a state constitutional amendment Tuesday that aims to restrict the University of California’s autonomy by reducing staff salaries, the length of regents’ terms and the authority of the UC president.

The proposed amendment limits nonfaculty salaries to $200,000 per year, which would affect coaches that, on some campuses, make millions of dollars, and administrators that make hundreds of thousands of dollars. The proposal also requires the UC Board of Regents to approve higher salaries in public hearings.

Under the amendment, regents’ terms would be reduced from 12 years to four years, and the UC president would lose their voting power on the Board of Regents. The UC Office of the President would also be required to report expenditure information to the regents, governor and Legislature.

The rise and fall of the WAC: Lessons we learned from the 16-team conference experiment

CBSSports.com, Dennis Dodd from

When it happened, Karl Benson was laying on a couch in a dark room recovering from emergency eye surgery.

That seemed like an absolutely fitting end to the largest Division I major-college conference ever. The vision for the 16-team Western Athletic Conference was blurred from the beginning.

Twenty years ago Saturday, the big, bloated, bad-ass WAC split up — 16 teams extending four time zones from Honolulu to Houston. The league basically collapsed on itself because of travel, logistics, infighting and money. Isn’t it always about money?

“All the sudden,” said Benson, the WAC commissioner back then, “the pie wasn’t big enough.”

No more coach/GMs: Complexity and specialization in MLS technical staffs

US Soccer Players, Charles Boehm from

… “Years ago you had more coaching situations where you wore multiple hats,” current Galaxy head coach Sigi Schmid recently told USSoccerPlayers.com. “The league was a little smaller then. You didn’t have the reserve teams, you didn’t have the academy teams underneath. And so there were coaches who were GMs and coaches. Over the year that’s lessened. I think the only two guys left that are doing that are Gregg Berhalter and Peter Vermes.”

Berhalter and Vermes are the unquestioned chieftains at Columbus Crew SC and Sporting KC, respectively. Both are architects in “small-market” environments. Those teams handed them not only the keys to their teams but their organizations’ entire technical landscapes. Both proved themselves with coherent, consistently competitive, and (in general) aesthetically pleasing plans and results.

They are the outliers in a league and sport where rising complexity, spending, and ambition have led to staffs mushrooming in size and specialization.

How Injured NFL Players Are Looking at OTAs

The Ringer, Danny Kelly from

Most of the news coming out of these voluntary workouts is predictable, but how some of football’s biggest stars make their way back from injury is worth tracking

How Liverpool Built A Potential Champion

FiveThirtyEight, Michael Caley from

The Champions League final seems immune to upsets. Real Madrid won three of the last five finals, with Bayern Munich and Barcelona taking the other two. And now Madrid is one win away from its fourth title in six years and third in a row. But this list of winners should not obscure that smaller clubs have come close. Atletico Madrid has taken Real Madrid to extra time twice in the last five finals, and Borussia Dortmund lost a nail-biter of a final 2-1 to Bayern. This year, it is Liverpool that has a real shot at upending a traditional power structure in the Champions League. And according to FiveThirtyEight’s Soccer Power Index, a Liverpool victory would not even be that much of an upset: SPI gives the team a 47 percent chance of lifting the trophy on Saturday.

How did Liverpool become a true Champions League contender? To a certain degree, this is unsurprising. For starters, Liverpool is no upstart, at least historically. The club has five European Cups and its revenues are among the highest in European soccer.1 But the Reds have played in the Champions League only four times in the last decade, and this season is the first time they have even reached the knockout stages since 2009. It took an extensive and highly successful rebuilding effort to get Liverpool to the cusp of a European trophy. The three key components of this effort were smart analytics, innovative tactics and the usual helping of good luck.

Data Visualization, Fast and Slow

Medium, Elijah Meeks from

… This breakneck pace is a real data visualization constraint. It’s not a myth that charts are often deployed in rooms full of people who only have a short time to comprehend them (or not) and make a decision. Automatic views into datasources are a critical aspect of exploratory data analysis and health checks. The fast mode of data visualization is real and important, but when we let it become our only view into what data visualization is, we limit ourselves in planning for how to build, support and design data visualization. We limit not only data visualization creators but also data visualization readers.

In order to reveal a “slow” data visualization I want to examine charts more closely and think structurally about what charts say, what charts mean and what charts do. These two modes are not in opposition, rather all charts are capable of being slowed down with reflective analysis. This examination is broken down into three parts:

• WHAT CHARTS SAY
  • WHAT CHARTS MEAN
  • WHAT CHARTS DO
  •