Female Sports Science newsletter – January 20, 2019

Female Sports Science news articles, blog posts and research papers for January 20, 2019

athletes

Olympian Lea Davison Has Discovered the Three-Step Secret to Happiness

Bicycling, Selene Yeager from

… “Happiness plays an important role in my life. Happiness is fast,” Davison says. “Some people seem to channel negative energy on the start line. But if I’m smiling and relaxed, it puts me in a better headspace. Happiness watts are real. And I try to have a positive, happy approach to racing.”

But like anything worthwhile, true happiness takes effort to attain—and, more importantly, maintain. Here’s what Davison says works for her, based on the tenets of that book.

Four years ago, Onome Akinbode-James was not a basketball player. Now, she’s starting for Duke.

Duke University, The Chronicle student newspaper, Spencer Levy from

… Soccer was the most popular sport in Abeokuta, Nigeria, where Akinbode-James grew up. But she didn’t pick up that sport, or any other for that matter. Education, not athletics, reigned supreme in her household.

After a significant growth spurt during the summer after seventh grade, Akinbode-James’ life changed. With a newfound height advantage over her classmates, she was encouraged to try basketball, an up-and-coming sport in Nigeria.

“I literally picked it up because I was taller than everyone and they were like, ‘Do something with your height,’” Akinbode-James said.

It didn’t start well.

Vekic warns young stars that reaching the top is not an easy climb

Tennis.com, Matt Cronin from

Former phenom Donna Vekic has a warning for today’s young stars—it won’t be a straight climb to the top.

The 22-year-old Croatian reached her first WTA final at 16 and won her first title at 17, but didn’t get her second until she was 21 years old. But now, Vekic says she has found more consistency and will break into the top 30 for the first time following her semifinal appearance at Brisbane this week.

“You see all these young girls now. I don’t want to name any names, but they’re winning,” Vekic said. “They’re like, they have the hype. And I’m like, oh, you have no idea what’s in store for you. It’s almost never happens. There’s ups and downs in every career, every sport. Not only in sport, in life. And I think I’ve already gone through that, and to say I’ve already gone through that at 22, I think is pretty good. So I hope it’s going to be a little bit more stable now.”

A record number of girls are wrestling in Kansas this year, but it’s only the tip of the iceberg

The Hutchinson News, Michael Stavola from

Hutchinson wrestlers Aracely Villegas and Maritza Jimenez are among the trailblazers paving the way for future female wrestlers in Kansas.

The girls are both honors students and first-year wrestlers in a season with a record number of girls pouring sweat and blood onto the mats. Still, officials believe the floodgates could still open for girl wrestlers if the Kansas State High Schools Activities Association approves sanctioned girls wrestling.

There are 14 states so far that have sanctioned girls wrestling.

For now, in Kansas, winning the unofficial state championship at McPherson in February is the top honor, unless a girl can beat out all the boys in her weight class.

For Caroline Wozniacki, Battling Arthritis Is the New Normal

The New York Times, Karen Crouse from

The beginning of a calendar year normally would seem a strange time to be preoccupied with endings. But when Andy Murray tearfully announced his impending retirement because of a deteriorating right hip in a pretournament news conference, the Australian Open underwent a jarring mood swing, from the so-called Happy Slam to a major dominated by talk about pain management and the sometimes extraordinary measures required to prolong careers.

The Hospice Slam, anyone?

Baylor’s Kalani Brown hopes to follow in her NBA dad’s footsteps

The Undefeated, Sean Hurd from

… In many ways, Brown’s game runs similarly to her father’s. She’s physical and agile, a blue-collar type of player with a knack for finding the ball in the paint. But ask Brown who helped her construct the foundation of her game and without hesitation she’ll give all the credit to her mom, Dee.

Dee Brown played collegiate basketball too, suiting up for Louisiana Tech in the late ’80s. She was also Brown’s assistant coach in high school, as well as her AAU coach.

“My dad wasn’t really involved as much as everyone thinks he was. It was really my mom,” said Brown, the Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year in 2014. “She was home with me working with me, building my game. My mom was pretty much my rock for my entire career.”

training

Research report: Holly Bradshaw on overcoming adversity

Athletics Weekly from

… Each athlete was asked what advice they would give to other athletes who may experience setbacks similar to theirs.

Their answers included; listening to your body, keeping confidence/belief and learning from the lows.

Two athletes in particular outlined how important it is to listen to your body. Sam suggested that you should “learn the difference between good and bad pain and 100% listen to your body”, while Lisa stated: “It’s so important to listen to your body. I used to feel embarrassed to speak up as I thought it made me look weak but one of the best bits of advice is: missing one session is better than missing a year”.

A Nationwide Follow-up Survey on the Effectiveness of an Implemented Neuromuscular Training Program to Reduce Acute Knee Injuries in Soccer Players. – PubMed – NCBI

Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine from

Background:

A cruciate ligament (CL) injury is a severe injury in soccer. Neuromuscular training programs have a well-documented preventive effect, but there are few studies on the effectiveness of such a program at a national level. The Swedish Knee Control Program (KCP) was found to be effective in preventing CL injuries in youth female soccer players. The KCP was implemented nationwide in Sweden in 2010.
Purpose:

To evaluate the effectiveness of the Swedish KCP in reducing acute knee injuries in soccer players at a nationwide level.
Study Design:

Descriptive epidemiology study.
Methods:

All licensed soccer players in Sweden are covered by the same insurance company. Using this insurance database, around 17,500 acute knee injuries that were reported to the insurance company between 2006 and 2015 were included in the study. By matching the number of licensed soccer players with the number of reported injuries each year, the annual incidence of knee and CL injuries was able to be calculated. To evaluate the spread of the KCP nationally, a questionnaire was sent to all 24 Swedish district football associations (FAs) with questions regarding KCP education. The number of downloads of the KCP mobile application (app) was obtained.
Results:

The incidence of CL injuries decreased during the study period for both male (from 2.9 to 2.4 per 1000 player-years) and female players (from 4.9 to 3.9 per 1000 player-years). The overall incidence of knee injuries decreased in both male (from 5.6 to 4.6 per 1000 player-years) and female players (from 8.7 to 6.4 per 1000 player-years). Comparing before and after the nationwide implementation of the KCP, there was a decrease in the incidence of CL injuries by 6% (rate ratio [RR], 0.94 [95% CI, 0.89-0.98]) in male players and 13% (RR, 0.87 [95% CI, 0.81-0.92]) in female players and a decrease in the incidence of knee injuries by 8% (RR, 0.92 [95% CI, 0.89-0.96]) and 21% (RR, 0.79 [95% CI, 0.75-0.83]), respectively (P < .01 for all). This trend corresponded to a reduction of approximately 100 CL injuries each year in Sweden. A total of 21 of 24 district FAs held organized KCP educational courses during the study period. The percentage of district FAs holding KCP courses was between 46% and 79% each year. There were 101,236 downloads of the KCP app. Conclusion:

The KCP can be considered partially implemented nationwide, and the incidence of knee and CL injuries has decreased in both sexes at a nationwide level.

Study Finds Division I Athletes Have Stronger Mental Health Than Peers

Women's Sports Foundation, The She Network, Kristen Gowdy from

Mental health is currently a hot topic that has especially manifested itself in the athletic world. At the Women’s Sports Foundation’s most recent Athlete Leadership Connection in October, we hosted a panel discussing mental health among champion athletes, and research published in November from the U.S. Center for Disease Control found that physical exercise tends to lighten mental health burdens.

But what about student-athletes? It would be easy to understand that those who have to balance a full load of college classes with commitment to their varsity sport would struggle with finding time to work on their mental health. However, a new study from the University of Wisconsin—Madison suggests the opposite. The research, which was published by the American Journal of Health Promotion in late December, found that Division I athletes reported stronger mental health than their non-athlete classmates.

Andrew Ference & Kate T. Parker: “Strong Is The New Pretty” | Talks at Google

YouTube, Talks at Google from

… A celebration, a catalog of spirit in words and smiles, an affirmation of the fact that it’s what’s inside you that counts, Strong Is the New Pretty conveys a powerful message for every girl, for every mother and father of a girl, for every coach and mentor and teacher, for everyone in the village that it takes to raise a strong and self-confident person.

Watch Kate T. Parker, a professional photographer who finds the real beauty in girls, and Andrew Ference, a retired NHL Stanley Cup Champion and father of two girls, talk about empowering young girls through sports.

technology

Ultra-Sturdy Bones, with a Surprising Origin, Suggest New Osteoporosis Approach

UC San Francisco from

A handful of brain cells deep in the brain may play a surprising role in controlling women’s bone density, according to new research by UC San Francisco and UCLA scientists.

In a study published Jan. 11, 2019, in Nature Communications, researchers showed that blocking a particular set of signals from these cells causes female (but not male) mice to build extraordinarily strong bones and maintain them into old age, raising hopes for new approaches to preventing or treating osteoporosis in older women.

sports medicine

Heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB) in female athletes [Part 2: Investigation and Management]

BJSM blog, Simon Tarsha and Craig Sheridan from

In the first of this two-part article the physical, social and psychological impact of heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB) on female athletes was considered alongside assessment of history and where appropriate, a clinical examination (1). This second article outlines clinical investigations to consider and initial management with guidance on when and why gynaecological referral is needed.

Can stronger necks prevent concussions?

Futurity, Rutgers University from

… “Our ability to detect sports-related concussions has greatly improved, but our ability to prevent concussions and decrease post-injury outcomes remains limited,” says lead author Allison Brown, an assistant professor at the Rutgers University School of Health Professions.

“We have identified neck strength, size, and posture as potential factors that reduce risk by lessening the magnitude of force upon impact. Thus, increasing neck strength and possibly size could substantially reduce risk or severity of injury or outcomes.”

nutrition

Nutrition for Special Populations: Young, Female, and Masters Athletes

Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism journal from

Adolescent, female and Masters athletes have unique nutritional requirements as a consequence of undertaking daily training and competition in addition to the specific demands of age and gender-related physiological changes. Dietary education and recommendations for these special population athletes require a focus on eating for long-term health, with special consideration given to “at risk” dietary patterns and nutrients (e.g. sustained restricted eating, low calcium, Vitamin D and/or iron intakes relative to requirements). Recent research highlighting strategies to address age-related changes in protein metabolism and the development of tools to assist in the management of Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S) are of particular relevance to special population athletes. Whenever possible, special population athletes should be encouraged to meet their nutrient needs by the consumption of whole foods rather than supplements. The recommendation of dietary supplements (particularly to young athletes) over-emphasises their ability to manipulate performance in comparison to other training/dietary strategies.

analysis

French federation hopes 2019 World Cup leaves ‘strong legacy for women’s sport’

Pro Soccer USA, Ashley Scoby from

Maybe in France, one day, it could be like this.”

That’s what a young Brigitte Henriques thought when she traveled with the French national team to play matches in the United States. Those were the days when players like Mia Hamm were bringing U.S. women’s soccer into the limelight – and becoming superstars within the overall sporting landscape.

France will get its chance to step into the women’s soccer spotlight this summer, when it hosts the World Cup in June and July. Henriques is the French Federation’s vice president and was in Chicago Thursday for a panel at the United Soccer Coaches convention. She — along with federation secretary general Laura Georges, who played at Boston College and for the French national team – presented for an hour, touching on everything from ticket sales, the country’s goals for its hosting experience and the perception of women’s soccer in France.

Predictions for the 2018 Australian Open Women’s Draw

Stats On the T blog, Stephanie Kovalchik from

Ahead of the first round of the Australian Open, I take a look at the top prospects for the women’s title at the Australian Open. Could it be Karolina Pliskova’s year?

Karolina Pliskova is coming off a strong performance on hard courts at the end of 2018, where she reached three finals after her quarterfinal loss at the US Open, ending with her close loss to Elina Svitolina at the WTA Finals. Her start to 2019, where she defended her title in Brisbane, suggests she could be a major threat at the Australian Open. Pliskova is, in fact, the No. 1 pick to take the title this year according to GIG predictions, which give her an overall chance of 13% to earn her first slam title.

These win predictions are based on GIG player Elo ratings, a rating system that tracks player strength from match to match, adjusting for opponent difficulty, surface, and tour absences due to injury.

How routine review spiralled out of control and cost Stajcic his job

Sydney Morning Herald, Dominic Bossi from

When the players’ union suggested Football Federation Australia conduct a review into the welfare of Matildas players, they hoped to simply improve workplace standards around games, training loads and recovery periods. Two months later, that review spiralled into the shock sacking of coach Alen Stajcic.

The Professional Footballers Association was concerned by a spike in playing commitments, moving from part-time players to a non-stop calendar of W-League, overseas club and international football, and increasing commercial duties. Following a slump in the Matildas’ on-field performances from 2017 to 2018, the FFA was only too happy to begin the review.

Why Game-Growing Coaching Initiatives Don’t Always Work

Women's Sports Foundation, Susan Shapcott from

As with many sports, golf’s governing bodies want to increase the game’s number of female participants. For at least the last decade, female players have made up less than 25% of the American golf population. The result of this, of course, is that women are not accessing golf’s life-long health and social benefits, and the golf industry is not maximizing its potential market. Consequently, the golf industry has invested in thoughtful initiatives to drive women to golf. For example, the PGA of America promotes ‘Women’s Golf Month’ in June every year. PGA professionals are encouraged to offer complimentary classes and events so women can try golf. Professional golf’s other major player in the United States, the LPGA, recently kicked off the ‘#inviteHER’ initiative encouraging women to invite others to participate in golf classes. These programs are a great start, however, golf’s governing bodies could greatly improve their approach by integrating new research into the field.

fairness

As Amanda Duffy becomes NWSL president, teams’ lack of diversity in coach and front office hires causes concern

Philly.com, Jonathan Tannenwald from

There have been four major hires to coaching and front office positions across the National Women’s Soccer League this offseason. All four are white men, and three have no previous experience working in professional women’s soccer.

It’s a cause for concern in a league that champions the growth of women in the world’s game. But at the same time, work is underway to change the landscape.

A WINTER OF DISCONTENT – time for equality of resources in the women’s game and the grassroots

The Football Collective, Paul Breen from

… Settling into my seat I waited for the action to begin. Come 2 o’clock, the teams came out, lined up and then separated into two ends, with the Charlton girls forming a huddle – the underdogs psyching themselves up for battle. Now – for a flash of honesty. Yeah, I did what any of my female friends and some male might do in any situation of passing time before the start of a contest between two sets of athletes. You check out the fittest ones. Denying it doesn’t make it not real. And then the game kicked off.

Within seconds the contest, the deep battle of body and spirit, not the surface appearance becomes the important thing – two sets of players, one wearing the shirt of the team you support and the other wearing a shirt slightly more famous the world over, even if they’ve never had a branch of their club store in Bexleyheath. There was something beautifully lower league about the situation – no ranting, no swearing, nobody singing “This is a shit hole, I want to go home.” The game was played at a fast tempo, Charlton maybe shading the opening exchanges. And then out of the blue, as their other team might do with Lukaku, United launched a long ball forward. Ambitious, but effective – as United’s player managed to head the ball between Charlton’s keeper and full back Charlotte Kerr. Everyone’s eyes at this stage followed the slow drop of the ball into the Charlton net with a few expletive-free cries of “offside” to accompany the whistle.

But in a scene that would come to define the day – the crowd and then the other players slowly began to notice, Charlton’s defender had stayed on the ground in the aftermath of a collision. Here, for the first time, real differences in the men’s and women’s games began to emerge – a fact not lost on some of the crowd who like me were getting a first taste of this league.

The legacy and lessons of Dr. Bernice Sandler, the godmother of Title IX

espnW, Arne Duncan and Carol Cartwright from

Dr. Bernice Sandler, the godmother of Title IX, was a tireless foe of sex discrimination who irrevocably altered America’s colleges, college sports and opportunities for women for the better. Today, it is hard to imagine how pervasive sex discrimination was on college campuses in 1972, when Title IX was enacted.

As Dr. Sandler described in her own history of Title IX, at the University of Michigan, the women’s varsity athletics program had a budget of zero dollars; women athletes sold apples at Michigan football games to pay for their own travel and expenses.