Applied Sports Science newsletter – August 3, 2021

Applied Sports Science news articles, blog posts and research papers for August 3, 2021

AP Interview: Italy coach says Jacobs can run much faster

Associated Press, Andrew Dampf from

The 26-year-old Texas-born Italian sprinter who surprised everyone by winning the 100 meters at the Tokyo Olympics might just be getting started.

Antonio La Torre, the head coach of Italy’s track and field team, believes Marcell Jacobs can run as fast as few men besides Usain Bolt ever have.

“With his infinite talent I dare to say that he’s a man who can run close to 9.70 — or maybe even faster,” La Torre told The Associated Press on Monday, a day after Jacobs registered a personal-best 9.80 seconds to succeed Bolt as Olympic champion, otherwise known as The World’s Fastest Man.

Analysis: Royals GM says Adalberto Mondesi not everyday player

Wichita Eagle, Lynn Worthy from

… Mondesi’s inability to remain on the field this season — he has missed 94 of 104 games because of a pair of oblique injuries as well as a hamstring injury — has forced general manager Dayton Moore to change his thinking about how he builds the roster for next season.

The shortstop position will likely become more of a shared responsibility than a one-man job next season.

Mondesi will certainly still factor into the mix, but he’ll be subject to regular days off and load management similar to the trend in the NBA in recent years. Moore will build the roster with the guiding principle that the Royals must have at least two players capable of starting at shortstop.

Chiefs RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif proving himself after 2020 opt out

USA Today, Chiefs Wire, Ed Easton Jr. from

… ”I mean, that’s why it’s so great to spend some time here in St. Joe because you get to bond with everybody,” said Duvernay-Tardif. “We’ve got a really cool group of guys and they’ve welcomed me in. Even though I’ve been here for the last eight years, I wasn’t here last year. So, it was good to build that chemistry, and I feel like now we’re pretty united.”

The Chiefs added many new names on the offensive line with hopes of solidifying the position. The new teammates are still building chemistry together in the early days of training camp, but Duvernay-Tardif feels they’ll be better as padded practices begin next week.

“I mean, it’s still a process. It’s always a process, especially because of the fact that I haven’t played for the last year, but I feel pretty good,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “Today was a good day and we just keep on building, and next week we’re going to put the pads on. And I’m looking forward to that. It’s really when you know where you’re at, you know?”

Between-session reliability of performance and asymmetry variables obtained during unilateral and bilateral countermovement jumps in basketball players

PLOS One; Alejandro Pérez-Castilla et al. from

This study aimed to evaluate the between-session reliability of single-leg performance and asymmetry variables during unilateral and bilateral countermovement jumps (CMJ). Twenty-three basketball players completed two identical sessions which consisted of four unilateral CMJs (two with each leg) and two bilateral CMJs. Mean and peak values of force, velocity and power, impulse, and jump height were obtained separately for each leg using a dual force platform. All performance variables presented an acceptable reliability (CVrange = 4.05–9.98%) with the exceptions of jump height for the unilateral CMJs and mean power, peak velocity, peak power, and impulse for the left leg during the bilateral CMJ (CV≥11.0%). Nine out of 14 variables were obtained with higher reliability during the unilateral CMJ (CVratio≥1.16), and 4 out of 14 during the bilateral CMJ (CVratio≥1.32). Asymmetry variables always showed an unacceptable reliability (ICCrange = 0.15–0.64) and poor/slight levels of agreement in direction (Kapparange = -0.10 to 0.15) for the unilateral CMJ, while an acceptable reliability (ICCrange = 0.74–0.77) and substantial levels of agreement in direction (Kapparange = 0.65 to 0.74) were generally obtained for the bilateral CMJ. These results suggest that single-leg performance can be obtained with higher reliability during the unilateral CMJ, while the bilateral CMJ provides more consistent measures of inter-limb asymmetries.

An Introduction to Driveline Catching: How We Train Catchers

Driveline Baseball from

… Training catchers is mostly qualitative at this point, but we are working to change that. We will use the tools we have now to help our athletes succeed on the field. As athletes develop, this program will too. We believe that even the “intangible skills” that are often associated with catching can be developed.

Steelers Promote Marcel Pastoor to Head Strength and Conditioning Coach

Steelers Now blog, Alan Saunders from

The Steelers have promoted Marcel Pastoor to head strength and conditioning coach, according to 2021 season staff bios posted to the team’s media website.

Pastoor has been with the Steelers since 2001, when he started as a strength and conditioning intern. He was promoted to strength and conditioning assistant in 2004 and was part of the team’s Super Bowl wins in 2005 and 2008.

DePaul athletics hires former Chicago Bulls strength and conditioning coach

DePaul University, The DePaulia student newspaper, Ryan Taylor from

DePaul athletics announced the hiring of Matt Johnson to be the associate director of human performance for DePaul men’s basketball, after having spent the last 10 years as the head strength and conditioning coach for the Chicago Bulls.

LifeSignals lands FDA clearance for its remote monitoring wearable biosensor

MobiHealthNews, Mallory Hackett from

Wireless healthcare technology developer LifeSignals today shared that it has received FDA 510(k) clearance for its LX1550 Multiparameter Remote Monitoring Platform.

LifeSignals’ remote patient monitoring system consists of a single-use wearable biosensor that measures electrocardiography, heart rate, respiration rate, skin temperature and body posture data for up to five days. The biosensor wirelessly transmits the encrypted data to a secure cloud-based server; the data can be viewed on the accompanying app or on the remote monitoring dashboard.

@TennisAustralia is launching its own venture capital fund to help advance #SportsTech startups!

Twitter, Sport Innovation Society from

With WildCard Ventures investing in early stage companies focusing on technologies that benefit the sports, health and entertainment industry.

The American Heart Association And The American Medical Society For Sports Medicine Team Up For Accelerated New Research Initiative Studying Cardiac Conditions In Athletes

Haute Living, Alana Garcia from

More research on the cardiovascular health of athletes is underway with efforts from the American Heart Association and the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM). The organizations joined forces earlier this year to accelerate a critical new research initiative studying cardiac conditions in athletes, in part to speed new insights into the impact of COVID-19 on the cardiovascular system of college athletes and safety of return to play after diagnosis. The collaborative data registry will aid research on COVID-19, and, long-term, develop a deep knowledge base on cardiac disease in athletes beyond the pandemic. The registry has been developed with participation from the NCAA and has more than 60 schools currently contributing to the Outcomes Registry for Cardiac Conditions in Athletes (ORCCA).

(No) Limits: @JamesSurowiecki ‘s essay is a welcome take on @Simone_Biles ’ decision.

Twitter, Jessica Flack from

A good comparison is to @AlexHonnold
’s aborted attempt to free solo El Cap + decision to train for another 8 months as relayed in @jimkchin
’s film. No one called him weak

Effect of Previous-Day Alcohol Ingestion on Muscle Function and Performance of Severe-Intensity Exercise

International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance from

Purpose: Many athletes report consuming alcohol the day before their event, which might negatively affect their performance. However, the effects of previous-day alcohol ingestion on performance are equivocal, in part, due to no standardization of alcohol dose in previous studies. The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of a standardized previous-day alcohol dose and its corresponding impact on morning-after muscular strength, muscular power, and muscular fatigue in a short-duration test and on performance of severe-intensity exercise. Methods: On 2 occasions, 12 recreationally active individuals reported to the Applied Physiology Laboratory in the evening and ingested a beverage containing either 1.09 g ethanol·kg−1 fat-free body mass (ALC condition) or water (PLA condition). The following morning, they completed a hangover symptom questionnaire, vertical jumps, isometric midthigh pulls, biceps curls, and a constant-power cycle ergometer test to exhaustion. The responses from ALC and PLA were compared using paired-means t tests. Results: Time to exhaustion in the cycle ergometer tests was less (P = .03) in the ALC condition (181 [39] s vs 203 [34] s; –11%, Cohen d = 0.61). There was no difference in performance in vertical jump test, isometric midthigh pulls, and biceps curls tests between the ALC and PLA conditions. Conclusions: Previous-day alcohol consumption significantly reduces morning-after performance of severe-intensity exercise. Practitioners should educate their athletes, especially those whose events rely on anaerobic capacity and/or a rapid response of the aerobic pathways, of the adverse effect of previous-day alcohol consumption on performance.

EXPLAINER: Why track cycling records are falling at Olympics

Associated Press, Dave Skretta from

… So why are records falling in Japan in seemingly every race? Well, it’s a combination of factors — a perfect storm, if you will — that has allowed riders regardless of discipline to set their sights on some quick times.

THE PHYSIOLOGICAL ASPECT

Simply put, training methods continue to evolve and improve with each Olympic cycle, making athletes themselves even better. Yes, that includes more effective and productive workout plans, but it also means finely tuned recovery periods and the right nutrition to fuel the efforts, all of it customized for each athlete’s specific body composition.

Gregg Berhalter’s Plan for American Men’s Soccer Is Working

The Ringer, Leander Schaerlaeckens from

Berhalter laid out his vision for the U.S. men’s national team when he took the head-coaching job two and a half years ago. The signs of progress are clear, with consecutive wins over Mexico in tournament finals in the past two months. But the hardest test begins next month when World Cup qualifying begins.

How talent selection harms future athletes – biological maturity and the drawbacks of early specialisation

BJSM Blog, Flora Chiper from

A specialized athlete’s body constitution is often distinctive to their sport. Thus, one would probably never mistake a distance runner for a weightlifter, nor a figure skater for a swimmer. Body composition changes through sport-specific training to match the needs of the sport. But in many elite-sports, athletes have to rely not only on training, but also on having talent and the right biological prerequisites. In the world of sports it has become a normality, that athletes are being selected at a very young age for a specific sport in accordance with their presumed potential. And some key factors for estimating potential are closely correlated to biological maturity.