Data Science newsletter – September 22, 2019

Newsletter features journalism, research papers, events, tools/software, and jobs for September 22, 2019

GROUP CURATION: N/A

Data Science News

HHS wants to give you your health data — do you want it?

POLITICO, Mohana Ravindranath

from

Encouraging patients to access and share detailed health records is one of the Trump administration’s major health care policy goals. So far, though, patients aren’t really responding.

HHS may soon begin to understand why as it pursues plans to force insurers and providers to adopt new data standards that, in theory at least, should allow more people shift their health information to their smart phones and laptops.

The technology allowing patients to grab their own data — application programming interfaces, or APIs — is already used in e-commerce and to power businesses like ride share networks. But patient access to APIs is “pretty far from the mainstream” despite a decade of development efforts, said A. Jay Holmgren, a Harvard health policy researcher who has studied adoption rates. A recent JAMA study found only about 0.7 percent of patients who log into patient portals where they can access records wind up sending them to their smartphones.

The Problem of Algorithmic Corporate Misconduct

NYU School of Law, Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement, Mihailis E. Diamantis

from

The present state of the law is worrisome because corporate automation will grow exponentially over the coming years.[11] This all but guarantees that corporations will escape accountability as their operations require less and less human intervention. Though algorithms promise to make corporations more efficient, they do not remove (or even always reduce) the possibility that things will go awry.[12] The worry is concrete. Some current examples of corporate algorithmic harm that merit a searching liability inquiry include:[13]

• A lender’s automated platform approves mortgages in a fashion that has a discriminatory racial impact but might also have a business justification.[14]
  • A financial institution’s trading algorithm makes trades on the basis of material, non-public information.[15]
  • Competing retailers’ pricing algorithms set prices at matching, super-competitive levels.[16]

• Inside Samsung’s secretive South Korean headquarters

CNN, Kristie Lu Stout

from

Under pressure on multiple fronts, Samsung is eager to find the next big thing beyond smartphones or memory chips to power the company’s future growth. It’s pouring some $22 billion over three years into areas like 5G and automotive electronics, led primarily by investments in Samsung Electronics. (The conglomerate’s other business lines include shipbuilding, construction and insurance.) Much of that innovation and experimentation is coming out of secretive research and development labs at Digital City.

In July, CNN was granted rare access to tour those labs.

Bots, biases, and binge watching: How AI shapes the modern world

Penn Today, Erica Brockmeier

from

Penn Today produced a three-part series and podcast on artificial intelligence, with expertise from researchers in the School of Arts and Sciences, the Perelman School of Medicine, the Wharton School, Penn Law, and the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Part one, from science writer Erica Brockmeier, explains the nuts and bolts of AI: How computers “learn,” what challenges researchers in this area face, and how evolving technology will continue to shape the uses of artificial intelligence. Part two, from writer Gwyneth Shaw, focuses on the legal and ethical challenges of a world that includes AI. Part three, from science writer Michele Berger, looks at how artificial intelligence has already permeated many corners of life, from consumer purchasing and media consumption to health care. And in the podcast, philosopher Lisa Miracchi and computer scientists Michael Kearns and Aaron Roth discuss AI and ethics with writer Brandon Baker.

New incubator to fuel life science innovation in Stanford Research Park

Stanford University, Stanford News

from

To bolster the long-term vision of a thriving bioscience community near its campus, Stanford University is working to shape part of Stanford Research Park into a leading life science district focused on fast-growing sectors such as bioengineering, gene therapies, diagnostics, medical technology and devices, surgical robotics and digital health. As a key component of this effort, Stanford is collaborating with Alexandria Real Estate Equities Inc. to convert an existing 92,000-square-foot facility at 3160 Porter Drive into a life science incubator – Alexandria LaunchLabs at Stanford Research Park – and small lab suites.

Where Americans Are Being Watched

CityLab, Emma Coleman

from

Offline surveillance by the government has grown exponentially in the past few years. One estimate found that the number of security cameras in the U.S. grew from 33 million in 2012 to 62 million in 2016. Now a new report from Comparitech, a technology research firm, takes a count of the number of closed-circuit television cameras owned by both government and private sources in cities around the world and compares that with the city’s population to find the density of cameras.

Atlanta was the only place in the U.S. to crack the top 10, with 15.56 cameras per thousand residents. That may seem low compared to cities higher on the list, most of which are in China and have 39 to 168 cameras per thousand residents, but Atlanta’s rate is high by U.S. standards. The five other municipalities that made the list of the top 50 most surveilled cities in the world included Chicago, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, San Diego, and Boston.

UVA Receives Official Approval to Form School of Data Science, Taking Steps to Transform Society

University of Virginia, UVA Today

from

“This is a historic moment for the University of Virginia and for the field of data science,” said Elizabeth Magill, provost of the University of Virginia. “The school is coming online at a time when the amount of available data in the world is more than doubling every two years, and there is soaring demand for qualified data scientists who can analyze and interpret vast amounts of data. A new school will catalyze research on daunting societal challenges and point the way toward their solutions. It will also allow us to prepare students to become responsible and creative leaders who are capable of using data science in a wide range of fields.”

New initiative explores redefining UNC’s data science curriculum

The Daily Tar Heel student newspaper, Will Forrest

from

UNC is in the process of kicking off a new data science initiative, which is focused on changing how the University approaches data science curriculum.

Over 100 individuals, including undergraduate students, professors and University researchers, will together conduct an initial feasibility study as to how UNC’s data science curriculum can be reprogrammed.

Gary Marchionini, the dean of UNC’s School of Information and Library Science, is the chairperson of the steering committee leading this new data science initiative. He believes this initial feasibility study is essential for coming to a conclusion about how to change the program.

Straight Up Conversation: The Woman Who’s Trying to Reimagine Testing

Education Next, Frederick Hess

from

Rebecca Kantar is the founder and CEO of Imbellus, which builds simulation-based assessments of cognitive skills. The company currently deploys these assessments in over 20 countries and has raised $24 million in venture funding. Rebecca founded Imbellus after dropping out of Harvard and becoming disenchanted with content-based standardized tests. In 2019, Forbes named her one of 30 Under 30 rising entrepreneurs in education. I recently talked with her about how to build simulation-based assessments and what they can tell us, and here’s what she said.

AI could power the next generation of Microsoft Office

Fast Company, Mark Sullivan

from

The company is aiming to adapt its productivity suite to a short-attention-span world, bringing years of research into products like PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel.

UC San Diego to create $100 million school of public health to fight disease, aging

The San Diego Union-Tribune, Gary Robbins

from

UC San Diego is expected to receive permission Thursday to create a $100 million school of public health capable of spotting and fighting disease worldwide, assessing how pollution from wildfires affects specific communities, and evaluating mobile medical devices.

The program also will address California’s emerging shortage of health workers, including a projected need for 160,000 home care employees over the next decade.

The proposed school was unanimously approved Wednesday by a committee of the University of California Board of Regents, with final authorization scheduled to come Thursday.

DeepMind’s health team jumps over to Google Health

MobiHealthNews, Laura Lovett

from

This morning Google announced that the health team at DeepMind, an artificial intelligence Alphabet subsidiary primarily focused on research, is joining Google Health.

“Under the leadership of Dr. David Feinberg, and alongside other teams at Google, we’ll now be able to tap into global expertise in areas like app development, data security, cloud storage and user-centered design to build products that support care teams and improve patient outcomes,” Dominic King, UK site lead at Google Health, said in a blog announcing the news.

UNC-Chapel Hill to lead $20 million project to test a reimagined internet

UNC-Chapel Hill, University Communications

from

With leadership from researchers at the Renaissance Computing Institute, UNC-Chapel Hill and its partners will build a platform, called FABRIC, to provide a testbed for reimagining how data can be stored, computed and moved through shared infrastructure.

College Kids Are Vowing Not to Work for Palantir Because of Its ICE Contracts

VICE, Gaby Del Valle

from

More than 1,200 students at 17 universities across the country have pledged not to work for data and software services company Palantir because of its work with ICE and other federal immigration agencies.

“We the undersigned are pledging not to work at Palantir while it continues to do business with ICE,” reads the letter, which was published Monday. “We will not apply for jobs at Palantir, we will not interview for jobs at Palantir, and we will not accept jobs at Palantir while the company is engaged in the business of deportation.”

All of this. My dept employs a full time research coordinator (the amazing Dr Silke Atmaca) and a team of 10 data management assistants—metadata, coding, error checking, worry & energy.

Twitter, Richard McElreath

from

They have processed in the last 3 years over 40k interviews. [thread]

Events

@Scale 2019 registration is now open!

Facebook Engineering

from

San Jose, CA October 16. “Registration is officially open for @Scale 2019. @Scale is an invitation-only technical conference for engineers who build or maintain large-scale systems. This year’s event will be held at the San Jose Convention Center.” [invitation only]

Imperial DSI Distinguished Lecture programme with invited speaker Prof Murray Shanahan

Imperial College London, Data Science Institute

from

London, England September 26, starting at 5:30 p.m. Speaker: Murray Shanahan. [free]

Writers in the Secret Garden Book Launch, an evening with Cecilia Aragon

University of Washington, Department of Human-Centered Design and Engineering

from

Seattle, WA October 2, starting at 6 p.m. “Cecilia Aragon and Katie Davis provide an in-depth examination of fanfiction writers and fanfiction repositories, finding that these sites are not shallow agglomerations and regurgitations of pop culture but rather online spaces for sophisticated and informal learning. Through their participation in online fanfiction communities, young people find ways to support and learn from one another.” [free]

CB Insights’ Future of Health

CB Insights

from

New York, NY October 2-3. “The Future of Health brings together 600 executives from the world’s largest healthcare institutions, most disruptive startups, and most active private equity and venture capital investors.” [$$$$]

Mount Sinai Health Hackathon

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

from

New York, NY October 11-13. “It will be an exciting 48-hour transdisciplinary competition focused on creating novel technology solutions for problems in healthcare. This year’s theme is Artificial Intelligence – Expanding the Limits of Human Performance.” [$$]

CBJ Hockey Analytics Conference

National Hockey League

from

Columbus, OH February 7-8. “A two-day conference that will showcase state-of-the-art research happening in the hockey analytics community and explore the use of data-driven analysis being done by industry professionals today.” [registration coming soon]

The 40th IEEE Sarnoff Symposium 2019

IEEE

from

Newark, NJ, and Online September 23-24. “The 40th IEEE Sarnoff Symposium 2019 features distinguished speakers from a broad set of industry segments, world class researchers from top universities in the US and a highly competitive technical program covering topics such as 6G, 5G, IoT, Cloud, Analytics, Networks, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Science, Orchestration, Open Source projects and others that are making a big impact in 2019 and beyond.” [$$$]

The Future of Business – A celebration welcoming Columbia Business School’s 16th dean

Columbia University, Data Science Institute

from

New York, NY September 24, starting at 6:30 p.m. “Costis Maglaras in conversation with Avanessians Director of the Data Science Institute and Professor of Computer Science, Jeannette M. Wing.” [free, registration required]

NYU Center for Data Science Fall 2020 PhD Open House

NYU Center for Data Science

from

New York, NY October 7, starting at 5:30 p.m. “The Open House will provide an overview of the program, and give you a chance to interact with faculty and staff at the Center for Data Science.” [registration required]

Economics and Big Data Meetup: Optimal Learning to Rank

Meetup, NYU Courant Institute

from

New York, NY October 4, starting at 6 p.m., NYU Courant Institute. Speaker: Charles Elkan, Faculty at UCSD and head of ML at Goldman Sachs. [rsvp required]

Deadlines

Biometric Recognition and Identification at Altitude and Range (BRIAR)

“The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity is seeking information on research efforts and datasets that may be useful in planning a program focused on advancing the state-of-the-art of biometric recognition and identification at altitude and range.” Deadline for responses is October 21.

NIH: Leveraging Big Data Science to Elucidate the Neural Mechanisms of Addiction and Substance Use Disorder

“The purpose of this FOA is to attract data and computational scientists to propose novel ways to integrate data of different types and scales to allow new types of analysis. It is expected that with the development and application of novel computational, bioinformatics, statistical, and analytical approaches, previously inaccessible insights will reveal new aspects of addiction biology.” Deadline for submissions is November 15.

Tools & Resources

Johns Hopkins Turbulence Databases. Enjoy

Twitter, Kyle Cranmer

from

turbulence.pha.jhu.edu

How to Identify the Basic Elements of Your Data Story

Datassist, Heather Krause

from

“The first step in creating data stories that engage and educate is to identify the basic elements of your data story. This is our first post in a series on data storytelling — look for additional posts coming twice a month to learn how to effectively incorporate data into a compelling story.”

Now available from @PacktPub: Machine Learning for OpenCV 4, Second Edition!

Twitter, Michael Beyeler

from

Congrats to my co-authors Aditya Sharma & Vishwesh Ravi Shrimali who spent a lot of time upgrading the code to OpenCV 4. Bonus: How to use Intel #OpenVINO with #OpenCV!

Careers

Tenured and tenure track faculty positions

Tenure-track faculty position in Computational Chemical Biology

Vanderbilt University, Data Science Institute; Nashville, TN

Multiple iSchool Faculty Positions in Austin

University of Texas, School of Information; Austin, TX
    Internships and other temporary positions

Privacy, Networking & Security Intern – Firefox

Mozilla; Berlin, Mountain View, San Francisco, Toronto